A ward councillor’s primary role is to represent their community and provide a bridge between the community and the council. As well as being an advocate for your local residents, you will need to keep them informed about the issues that are affecting them. In order to understand and represent local views and priorities, the ward councillor needs to build strong relationships and encourage local people to make their views known and engage with them. Good communication and engagement is central to being an effective councillor. Local councillor are expected to:
- Respond to queries and investigate concerns.
- Communicate council decisions.
- Know their area and be aware of any problems.
- Work with representatives of local organisations, interest groups and businesses.
- Represent community views at council meetings.
- Lead local campaigns.
Johan Van Buuren
Please contact the councillor for all local service delivery matters and only escalate to the political head listed below in the event that you have not been assisted.